Sunday 28 October 2012

PSP2012 (Peak Star Party)

I went to my first Star Party last week....The Peak Star Party 2012 which was hosted by members from SGL (Stargazers Lounge), an online Astronomy Forum. The event was held at Shallow Grange Farm where we were all made very welcome. Facilities were good and the place was full of like minded people all interested in astronomy. There was easily 200 people at the event either in tents, Caravans or Motohomes.



The Sky at Night Team (Paul Abel, Pete Lawrence & Dr Chris North) were also in attendance closely followed by a BBC camera crew. The show will be aired in Jan 2013.

Although the weather wasn't great, I did manage to get a few hours of observing over the weekend. Clouds on Saturday and thick fog on Sunday morning made life difficult but we are an hardy bunch so standing in freezing fog at 3am waiting for a break in the clouds is not unheard of.

I got to have a play with a 16" Dobsonian which gave me amazing views of several of the sky's hidden gems.

The actual stargazing may have been in short supply but from a social standpoint, this was a great weekend. I met some great people and had a few good laughs as well as a beer or three. Even my partner and my little dog enjoyed themselves.

I would absolutely recommend to anyone who has an interest in astronomy to pop along to a star party. People are very friendly and will gladly let you look through their scopes. A great way for a beginner to test equipment and also pick up great advice.






No comments:

Post a Comment